Battling Rodent Infestations In Boston: 10 Things Residents Should Know
It’s very likely that at some point in their lives, Boston residents will battle an infestation of rodents. Mice and rats are two of the most common culprits when it comes to animal-related nuisances, and they can cause a lot of damage to both residential and commercial properties. For these reasons, it is important for residents to be aware of the best practices when it comes to controlling rodent populations. Here are 10 of the most important things people should know about rodent control in Boston.
1. Properly Identify the Problem: Before beginning any type of pest control, it’s important that residents properly identify the type of rodent they are facing. Different species can require very different treatments, and there are several kinds of mice and rats found in Massachusetts. “It’s easy to assume that all rodents are the same, but this is not the case. Different mice and rats require different treatment plans,” says Nick Yonkowski, Senior Pest Control Technician at F&W Pest Control in Boston. “For instance, roof rats found in Massachusetts demand a different approach than Norway rats typically found in homes and other buildings.”
2. Learn About Prevention and Exclusion: Many infestations can be prevented or minimized if the right steps are taken. These steps include eliminating food sources, sealing exterior and interior openings in the home, and creating physical barriers between the property and the pests, such as fences and screens.
3. Recognize Signs of Infestation: Knowing the signs of an infestation is key to taking action early on and preventing the situation from worsening. Some of the most common signs of mice and rat populations include droppings, gnawing marks on wood and fabric, and tracks and burrows near the foundation. Noticing a particularly pungent smell inside or around the home could also indicate an infestation.
4. Know Your Options: Pest control techniques and products vary, so it’s important to research the different types of treatments and methods available. Some people may opt for store-bought traps and other devices while others may decide to go with more specialized and professional techniques. Researching the different options will help people find the right solution for their infestation.
5. Practice Safety: Pest control can involve harmful chemicals, so residents should always make sure to use caution and follow safety instructions. Anyone going with DIY treatments should always be careful when using products and wearing protective gear.
6. Monitor the Problem: Very often, rodents can return after a period of time. They are also prone to hiding in tight places and coming back periodically. This is why it is important to keep an eye on the problem and take action if necessary.
7. Call the Professionals: If infestations get out of control, it is best to call for professional help. Professional pest control services can provide more effective treatments and help to quickly and effectively resolve the issue. Rodent control in Boston can be complicated and require specialized techniques and tools, making it best to call for help when necessary.
8. Adopt Sustainable Practices: If opting for professional treatments, residents should look for green and natural solutions. Sustainable pest control practices, such as Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques, involve using minimal chemical treatments and relying on more eco-friendly methods to keep the problem under control, such as trapping and removing rodents.
9. Invest in Ongoing Services: Professional pest control companies provide ongoing rodent control services, designed to help keep the population under control. “We don’t just come and solve your existing infestation,” says Yonkowski. “We also set up baiting systems and maintain the property, which helps to monitor the rodent population and take action if necessary.”
10. Keep the Property Clean: Cleanliness plays an important role in keeping rodent populations away. Boston residents should make sure to properly store food and keep the property clean and free of clutter. This, along with other preventive measures, can help keep rodent populations at bay.
Rodent infestations can cause serious damage to both residential and commercial properties, so it’s important for Boston residents to know the best practices when it comes to controlling these pests. Knowing the proper steps to take and being aware of the options available is the key to keeping properties free of rodents. Residents should always make sure to take the appropriate measures to identify and monitor any potential infestation, and to call for help if they are unable to solve the problem on their own.
F&W’s integrated pest management approach (IPM) provides the professional quality you need with the environmentally responsible quality of a DIY approach. Trust the expert exterminators at F&W to get rid of your rodents this season. Get a free quote to start debugging your space today.