Best Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Mice In Newtonville, Massachusetts
F&W Pest Control, in Newtonville, Massachusetts, offers their expertise in mice control for local businesses and residences alike. Being informed on the best methods for getting rid of mice and preventing them from coming back is the most effective way to keep your home safe from mice. Consider the following natural ways to keep mice away:
1. Proper Sanitation: Keeping exterior and interior areas around the building clean is an important tactic for controlling mice since it reduces potential hiding places and food sources they may find attractive. Make sure to store garbage in sealed, metal cans and keep compost piles away from home. Inside, it’s important to use secure storage containers for food and to thoroughly vacuum and sweep up any crumbs.
2. Eliminate Access to Food Supplies: Make sure that kitchen cupboards, pantry, and even the refrigerator stay free from food items that mice may find attractive. Store food in glass, metal, or thick plastic containers.
3. Remove Pet Food and Water Bowls: Don’t leave pet food and water bowls out overnight. During your inspections, if you happen to find that mice have managed to find access to pet food, then it’s time to remove all pet food and water bowls and store them in containers with tight-fitting lids.
4. Seal Off Potential Entry Points: Pay close attention to gaps and openings around window and door frames, crawl spaces, foundation walls, and utility lines. If you come across any small holes like these then it’s likely mice could be using them to find shelter and get into your home. To prevent this, seal off these entry points with a steel mesh, caulking, and/or weatherstripping.
5. Use Essential Oils: Scents such as peppermint oil, lavender oil, and citronella oil are known to repel mice. Mixing one or all of these oils with water is a safe and non-toxic way of deterring unwanted visitors. Place small bowls of the mixture around the house and the strong scent of the essential oils will drive the mice away.
6. Place Mousetraps: This is an effective way of catching and preventing mice from getting inside your home. Place the traps in places where mice are most likely to hide and congregate such as near kitchen cabinets or underneath furniture.
7. Use Vinegar and Other Repellents: Mice are also repelled by strong odors and cleaning agents such as vinegar and ammonia. To make an effective repellent, mix equal parts of water and vinegar and place the mixture around areas of your home where you’ve seen signs of mice. Also, you can add ammonia-soaked rags in places that the mice may be attracted to.
8. Attract Predators: One way to ward off mice is to attract their natural predators such as cats, birds, and snakes. These animals can help to keep mice away while also providing natural pest control on your property.
9. Keep Planting Areas Away from Building: Make sure that trees, shrubs, and plants are cut away from the building so that they do not provide access to the home. It’s also important to remove any debris, wood piles, or garbage that can attract mice to the area.
10. Reinforce Fencing and Use Mesh: Mice can climb just about any surface, but reinforcing existing fences with mesh or screening can help keep mice out. You can also cover ventilation and chimney openings with mesh to ensure that mice cannot gain access to your home.
At F&W Pest Control, we are here to help with all of your mouse control needs. Our experienced team can identify areas where the rodents may be entering your home and provide treatments to help keep them away. We offer customized plans to ensure that your home is free of mice and other pests. Contact us today to find out more.