How To Effectively Get Rid Of Boxelder Bugs In Lexington, MA
Pest Control Near Me
Boxelder bugs are a nuisance in many parts of the United States including Lexington, Massachusetts. Homeowners in the area are often faced with how to get rid of these pests. While some might choose to take a tackle the problem on their own, the experts from F&W Pest Control recommend an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach for the best results.
What are Boxelder Bugs?
Boxelder bugs are 1/4 to 1/2 inch long insects that are typically black with orange or red markings. They are common pests of trees and shrubs throughout the United States, most commonly in the Eastern and Midwest regions. Boxelder bugs feed on the sap and tissues of various boxelder, maple, and ash trees, particularly the female boxelder tree.
The boxelder bug is often considered a nuisance pest because of its presence in large numbers in and around homes, apartment buildings, and other structures. The bugs have the potential to cause staining on fabrics and furnishings when crushed. While they do not pose any threat to human health, they can be a major nuisance when they become numerous.
Why Use an Integrated Pest Management Strategy?
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is a pest control approach that takes into account all aspects of the pest infestation, including identification of the pest, control method, and monitoring for re-infestation. It relies on using various control measures, such as insecticide sprays, baits, traps, and mechanical controls, as well as non-chemical treatments such as cleaning and habitat modification, in combination with each other.
IPM plans are tailored to each property. The pest control specialists from F&W use a full array of services to rid your property of boxelder bugs, including inspections, live trapping, exclusion methods, elimination of food sources, exclusion devices, sanitation and other cultural techniques, and chemical treatments as needed.
Steps to Follow When Getting Rid of Boxelder Bugs
The following steps should be taken when getting rid of boxelder bugs:
1. Inspections: Property inspections should be carried out to assess the current level of infestation and locate potential entry points for the insects.
2. Live Trapping: F&W Pest Control utilizes two types of trapping methods to help capture boxelder bugs. These traps should be placed around the outside perimeter of your home to help reduce the number of bugs that make their way inside.
3. Exclusion: Exclusion methods, such as caulking cracks and crevices around window frames, can help to keep boxelder bugs out of your home.
4. Eliminating Food Sources: The experts at F&W can help identify and remove sources of food for the boxelder bugs, such as leaf piles or other potential sources.
5. Exclusion Devices: Installing screens on windows and vents will help keep boxelder bugs out.
6. Sanitation and Other Cultural Techniques: Taking steps such as regularly cleaning up plant debris, maintaining healthy vegetation, and removing piles of leaves from around your home can help deter boxelder bugs.
7. Chemical Treatments: If needed, an insecticide may be applied to the exterior of your home to reduce the number of boxelder bugs.
Getting Rid of Boxelder Bugs with F&W
Boxelder bugs can be a nuisance to homeowners in Lexington, MA. If you are dealing with an infestation of these pests, the experts at F&W Pest Control can help. F&W’s Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach provides the professional quality you need with the environmentally responsible quality of a DIY approach. Trust the expert exterminators at F&W to get rid of your boxelder bugs this season. Get a free quote to start debugging your space today.
Pest Control Near Me
Searching for an easy fix to your pest problems? Here at F&W Pest Control, our exterminators will treat an array of different pest issues including termites, bed bugs, mosquitoes, and more! Long-term protection is right at your reach with the help of our highly trained team of exterminators in the Greater Boston area. Don’t allow pests to take over your home, put your trust in our pest control services to ensure a pest-free home. With our help, you won’t have to spend any more free time implementing DIY extermination methods!