Top 10 Ways To Keep Rats Away From Belmont, MA
From having to deal with unsightly droppings, to the damage caused to property, rats can become a real nuisance if they are not managed properly. Fortunately, if you are living in Belmont, Massachusetts, you can take several proactive steps to deter these rodents from your home or business. Here are the top 10 things to consider regarding how to keep rats away from Belmont, Massachusetts:
1. Secure Entry Points: Rats can squeeze through small cracks or holes in the walls, under foundations, or around windows to gain easy access to your home. Evaluate the outside of your home and identify and close any points of entry that are large enough for rats or other rodents to get through.
2. Eliminate Food Sources: Rats will be attracted to any food sources that are left in your home or yard. Thoroughly clean up any food debris or waste and store all food, including pet food, in airtight, chew-proof containers.
3. Seal Garbage: In addition to reducing food sources, make sure to seal up garbage cans and dumpsters tightly. Rats have very talented chewing ability, so rather than using cloth or plastic bags, opt for metal cans or rodent-proof lids to keep out rats.
4. Eliminate Water Sources: As with food, rats need a source of water to survive and will be drawn to nearby ponds or pools of water. This includes standing water in pet dishes, clogged drains and leaky pipes. Fix any sources of standing water or excess moisture you identify around your home.
5. Trim Vegetation & Hedges: Overgrown vegetation provides a great hiding place for rats. To make sure that rats don’t have anywhere to hide on your property, trim hedges and other landscaping features. Also, keep any firewood or bird feeders away from the home.
6. Clear Their Nesting Site: Rats use woodpiles, cluttered attics, and similar places to build nests. By cutting away tall grass, pulling out stumps, and cleaning up debris, you can make your outdoor space less appealing for rat habitats.
7. Use Traps: While it might be tempting, it is not advisable to use poison to kill rats. If rats eat poison, they can die inside walls or other inaccessible places and then attract pests or create an unpleasant odor. A much wiser approach is to use traps for rats. Traps can be bought at home and garden stores or other retailers. Make sure to check the traps regularly, so as not to cause the rat suffering.
8. Use Repellents: There are also natural rat repellents such as hot pepper spray or cayenne pepper, which can be used to deter rats. Mouse repellents are also available, but as with traps, it is important to check that the repellent is effective.
9. Check with F&W: F&W Pest Control is a residential and commercial pest control provider in Belmont that offers comprehensive and customized rodent control and prevention solutions. F&W utilizes Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques to achieve optimal pest control with minimal use of pesticides.
10. Be Proactive: The best way to keep rats away from Belmont is to be proactive. Take the necessary steps to rodent-proof your home and inspect it regularly. Check for open doorways, cracks, or holes where rats may enter, and get rid of food or water sources that could attract them.
Though rats can cause a lot of damage if left unchecked, taking a few steps to rat-proof your home can go a long way in deterring these rodents from your property and giving you back the peace of mind you need. Adopting all of the above measures will not only reduce the risk of these rodents entering your home, but will also help to keep them away once they have been successfully removed.
F&W’s integrated pest management approach (IPM) provides the professional quality you need with the environmentally responsible quality of a DIY approach. Trust the expert exterminators at F&W to get rid of your rodents this season. Get a free quote to start debugging your space today.
Pest Control Near Me
Searching for an easy fix to your pest problems? Here at F&W Pest Control, our exterminators will treat an array of different pest issues including termites, bed bugs, mosquitoes, and more! Long-term protection is right at your reach with the help of our highly trained team of exterminators in the Greater Boston area. Don’t allow pests to take over your home, put your trust in our pest control services to ensure a pest-free home. With our help, you won’t have to spend any more free time implementing DIY extermination methods!