F&W Pest Control
Serving Greater Boston Metro Area Including Metro West, North Shore, South Shore And Worcester
Integrated Pest Management
IPM is a holistic approach focusing on prevention and non-chemical interventions. Chemical treatment is used only when other options are not available or won't succeed.
Government regulatory agencies and consumers alike favor the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) paradigm because of its reduced risk to non-target organisms, minimal intrusiveness and improved long-term results. IPM combines intelligent decision-making with a variety of preventive and corrective measures to reduce pests. IPM does not rely exclusively on the use of conventional insecticide sprays.
What to Expect From Integrated Pest Management - IPM in Massachusetts
Insects such as cockroaches and ants often cannot be eliminated quickly due to population size, biological characteristics and instinctive behavior for self-preservation. IPM may or may not eliminate pests quickly; however, IPM can yield more enduring results in the long run than non-targeted, copious pesticide applications. Using repellent residual insecticides will give a false impression that the pest problem is being solved. Often insect survivors escape the treatment zone and either remain concealed until pesticide residues break down or they invade new areas of the building.
Basic Components of Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Inspect and interview to determine the source and harborage of pests.
- Identify the pest species to decide the appropriate course of action.
- Establish cooperation of customers and residents to ensure optimal results of IPM.
- Avoid bringing pest-infested items such as used furniture and appliances, electronic entertainment systems and boxed produce from questionable sources, into the area.
- Enhance bait acceptance by removing the pests' source of food.
- Remove food waste and empty beverage containers daily.
- Remove as many pests as possible through trapping using food lure sticky traps, vacuuming using a high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter vacuum cleaner.
- Use insecticides with ability to target the insect's physiology without posing a threat to people, companion animals or beneficial wildlife.
- Strategically place insecticide baits that cause nearby pests to feed and die.
- Recognize that repellent insecticides alarm pests, which then escape and hide in structural voids.
- Administer insect growth regulators (IGR) to interfere with the pest's ability to mature and reproduce.
- Seal-off cracks and crevices repeatedly used by pests for harborage.
- Monitor over time using baited sticky monitors, pheromone traps, insect light traps.
- Inspect and interview to determine if pest situation is improving.
- Adjust IPM methods as necessary.
How You Can Help With Integrated Pest Management in MA
- Keeping your living and work space clean and uncluttered
- Noting and reporting exact locations of where insect pests are seen
- Refraining from using over-the-counter insecticides
- Examining used appliances, entertainment systems, furniture and storage boxes for evidence of pests before bringing such items indoors
Why Choose F&W Pest Control?
- Family Owned & Operated- 4th Generation
- Free Phone Quotes or Home Inspection
- Same Day Service Available
- Emergency Service Available
- Evening & Weekend Appointments Available At No Extra Charge
- A+ BBB Rating
- Established 1943
Mon - Fri: 7:30am - 5:00pm
Saturdays: Until 1:00pm
All calls answered by live operator during normal business hours.
Evening and Early Morning Appointments are always available. Just let us know.
One of The Oldest Pest Control Companies in Massachusetts